It is important to check your MTN balance before making a call to know if it will be enough because it is always annoying and embarrassing when you are making a vital call and your airtime finishes unexpectedly.
It would be recalled that on March 2023, the Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC) ordered all the network providers in Nigeria to unify all the codes they use, ranging from codes for checking of airtime balance, data balance to codes used in data subscription; and MTN was not an exemption to this directive, hence the codes that were used to check balance on MTN has been changed to new codes.
So, if you don’t know the new MTN codes for checking balance and performing other functions on your MTN line, there’s no need to worry because this article is designed to keep you updated.
How To Check MTN Airtime Balance
Sequel to the directive issued by the NCC in March 2023 for the unification of all the codes used by network providers in Nigeria. MTN, has changed the old USSD code (*556#) for checking airtime balance on your MTN. Hence the old code (*556#) doesn’t work again.
The new & current code for checking MTN airtime balance now is *310#. It is straightforward to use, just dial *310# on your MTN line and a message will prompt which will contain your airtime balance. And that’s all.
Updated Method Of Checking MTN Data Balance
The new codes and methods you can use to check your MTN data balance are outlined below:
1. Via USSD Code
To check your MTN data balance with the USSD code follow the steps below:
You can use any of these two codes to do that *310# 0r *323#.
- On your dialpad, press *310# on your MTN line.
- A message will pop-up immediately displaying your account balance and data balance.
- You can copy the balance or just leave it. As simple as that.
However, if you want to be more precise, the you can use *323#.
- On your dialpad, press *323# on your MTN line.
- Choose options ‘’1’’ when the message pops up.
- Finally, a message will prompt that will show you your data balance.
2. Via MyMTN App
You can also check your MTN data balance through the MyMTN app. To do that, follow the steps below:
- Download and install MyMTN app from the official app store.
- Sign up to the app using your MTN phone number.
- Log in with your details and you’ll be able to see your data balance displayed at the app’s home screen.
3. Via MTN Official Website
If you want to check your MTN data balance using a web browser, then follow this steps to do that:
- Open the web browser of your choice on your device.
- Login to the MTN official website at www.mtnonline.com.
- Go to the ‘’My Account’’ or ‘’Check Balance’’ section.
- Finally, input your MTN phone number and follow the onscreen instructions to see your balance.
4. How to Check MTN Balance via SMS
To check MTN balance via sms, you just have to send a message to 131. You may decide to send “BALANCE” or “2” to 131. Your MTN balance is going to pop up on your phone screen. One thing with this method is that even if the service didn’t provide your balance, it’s going to give you the exact USSD code to dial, to get your balance.
5. By Contacting MTN Customer Care Center
After trying out the above methods and it didn’t work for you, then you can reach out to the MTN customer care unit by dialing ‘’300’’ on your MTN line. However, contacting the MTN customer care unit may be time consuming since they may take minutes before they can pick up your call especially if other customers called before you hence you need to be patient when you call MTN care center.
Other Updated MTN USSD Code
For other MTN services, you can check the codes below:
- To buy data plan dial *312#.
- To recharge your MTN line dial *311#.
- To borrow airtime dial *303#.
- For MTN share dial *321#.
- For Value Added Service(VAS) dial *305#.
- To check your NIN dial *996#.
Anytime you want to check your airtime or data balance on MTN, kindly use the new codes outlined in this article. You can check our next post for the codes you can use to carry out different functions in other network providers in Nigeria.